About NEWS-e Interface
Common Product Descriptions
- Probability matched mean composite reflectivity is overlain on the majority of NEWS-e products. Reflectivity values above 35 and 50 dBZ are contoured according to the colored lines at the bottom of the product. The probability matched mean is a statistical technique that restores amplitudes representative of an individual member to the ensemble mean. This reduces the smoothing of the mean field; particularly at later forecast times as individual member solutions diverge.
- Max values are provided for percentile and probability matched mean products. Values are located at the bottom right of the associated products. The location of the maximum value within the domain is noted by a black plus sign (+).
- Ensemble probability products display the probability from 0 to 1 of a variable exceeding a specified threshold at each grid point in the domain. A probability of 1 indicate that all ensemble member forecasts exceed the threshold.
- Percentile products range from the 0th to 100th percentile value in increments of 10% For example, values for the 50th percentile (median) displays the value where 50% of ensemble members are equal to or below the value at each grid point.
- The average of the 18 members in the NEWS-ensemble.
- LSRs (Local Storm Reports) and Warnings appear on many verification products. Green polygons indicate valid flash flood warnings, blue polygons indicate valid severe thunderstorm warnings, and red polygons indicate valid tornado warnings for a given time. Green circles are severe hail reports, red triangles are tornado reports, and blue boxes are severe wind reports.