previous | next
Dual Polarization at NSSL
- 1983: Upgrade of Cimarron radar to dual polarization; switching between
horizontal and vertical polarization
- 1984: Collection of first (anywhere) dual polarization time series data
- 1985 to 1989: Definition of the complete set of polarimetric variables.
Development of schemes to obtain these variables together with spectral
- 1992: First (anywhere) collection of polarimetric variables at all range
- 1992 to present: Development of schemes to classify hydrometeor type.
Improvement of rainfall estimation. Design of a system functionally compatible
with the WSR-88D; simultaneous transmission and reception of horizontally
and vertically polarized waves
- 2002: Upgrade of KOUN radar to dual polarization
- 2002-2003: Joint POLarization Experiment (JPOLE)