First Q2 Workshop (Q2 - "Next Generation QPE")
June 28-30, 2005
Download the Workshop Announcement (.doc, 30kb)
Cohosted by the NWS Office of Hydrologic Development, the primary focus of this workshop is meeting NOAA/NWS service needs in conjunction with NOAA mission goals. Accordingly, a significant part of the workshop will be dedicated to presentation and discussion of operational needs and issues. This will be followed by discussions and formulation of the science and science-to-operations plan for QPE and very short-range QPF that leverages the NMQ infrastructure and associated joint applications development environment (JADE).
- Identify pressing and outstanding operational, science and science-to-operations requirements for QPE and very short-range QPF to meet the NOAA customer needs and mission goals,
- Assess existing and planned science and science-to-operations capabilities for QPE and very short-range QPF, and
- Develop cost-effective and performance-measurable solutions and pathways for advancing QPE and very short-range QPF science and science-to-operations by leveraging the NMQ infrastructure and capabilities.
Expected outcomes of the workshop are:
- Generation of the science and science-to-operations plan for NMQ as the community platform for QPE and very short-range QPF, and
- Development of collaborative QPE and very short-range QPF research and development, and research-to-operations partnerships across NOAA and with external partners.
The idea is to have a truly "working" workshop. To the extent possible, workshop participants will be asked to participate in discussion groups prior to and during the workshop. It is expected that theese discussions will help focus ideas on individual topics. The discussion moderator will then present results to facilitate a science and research-to-operations plan