Introduction for Dr Jeff Kimpel
- Originally from Ohio, Dr Kimpel received his Ph.D. in Meteorology from the University of Wisconsin in Madison
- After a tour in Vietnam for the Air Force - where he received a Bronze Star - Dr Kimpel began his career in 1973 when he joined the Faculty at the University of Oklahoma
- While at OU, he served as Associate Dean of the College of Engineering, Director of the School of Meteorology, Dean of the College of Geosciences, and Senior Vice President & Provost of the Norman Campus
- Dr Kimpel is a Fellow of the AMS where he recently served as President.
- He has chaired the Board of Trustees of the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research, the National Science Foundation's Advisory Committee for Atmospheric Sciences, and the National Weather Service NCEP Advisory Panel
- His interests include cyclogenesis, severe storms, and helping build coalitions such as the National Weather Center and the National Weather Radar Testbed/Phased Array Radar Project
- Currently Dr Kimpel is in his 7 th year as the Director of the National Severe Storms Lab